"Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you." James 1:27

Monday, December 22, 2014

Go

Some thoughts from my husband, Bill:
For most of my life, the churches that I attended, followed or even investigated preached the same false gospel. Now, it wasn’t a bold-faced lie, but a half-truth that they were spouting. You see, Jesus was presented in most of these churches only as a savior who rescued us from our sins. This was wrapped in the American dream; meaning that Jesus was going to give me the American dream as long as I say a prayer, go to church, tithe, and maybe proclaim the gospel when its comfortable and won’t make anyone feel the impeding judgment of Christ.
While seminary helped a bit to rewire my mind, it wasn’t until spending a significant amount of time alone with the Word of God that I came to see clearly my false faith and the false church that produced it. I can assuredly tell you that when you realize that you are a child of God and realize what that means (something very different from the picture painted from most pulpits), it is eye opening. You know the idea that, when a guy gets saved, he gets a pair of khakis, a blue polo and strict instructions not to cuss. I almost forgot, always pretend to care about everyone; essentially, be as fake as possible for Jesus because he needs good PR.
What churches failed to mention is that God, by choosing you, and by you responding, has inducted you into an army called “the Church.” Now, today’s church doesn’t look like an army, but it is supposed to- don’t believe me, read the Bible. So, as God worked on my heart, He slowly began giving me His heart- a heart for the lost, both spiritual and physically, especially abused and neglected children.
Broken
So, over a period of years, God worked on me through His Word, the Church and videos such as this and others that I will be posting later. Bottom-line, before God changed my heart I was indifferent to the suffering of what I would frequently refer to as “randoms.” God knows no randoms. He knows each person intimately, since He created them. So, please watch this video and if God speaks to you, listen (even if that’s for the first time, respond and accept Jesus, He is your King).
None of these kids should have to spend one more day in hell on earth, while God still has His saints here. As Jackie Pullinger says in the video, “We are all called to give up our life for the gospel.”
Not Peace, but a Sword
“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person’s enemies will be those of his own household. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
(Matthew 10:34-39 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment